Saturday, April 14, 2012

Tutorial. Encrusting with French Knots

As I mentioned in my last post, quite a few stitchers out there are creating Encrusted Rocks. It all stems from this article here in
Stitch Magazine. Wonderful stitching done by
This is My how-to as I did it :)
 


A selection of buttons and small curtain rings that i found at a charity shop. I didnt use the tube bead after all.
 


2 Layers of fabric. The bottom one in the hoop.
 

 
Randomly stitched the objects between the layers.
I didnt worry about the lumps n bumps
as they add texture as I added the stitching. :)
 








Some of the French knots are tight and some loose to add more texture.Woven bars and woven spider web over the lumps.
a dash of lichen shaded threads to add colour here n there and
a yummy, very textured piece is created.
Now for another trip to the seaside. :)
The coast at Birdlings Flat is all stones.
 
 All sizes and all washed smooth. Just perfect for this project.
 
Happy Knotting
 
Phillipa
 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

Can't Stop Stitchin said...

Great tutorial, thanks for posting, I hope to do one of these someday!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I want to try this.

Sue Reehm said...

Very helpful info so thanks. When you are done, do you incorporate the top layer of fabric into the hoop (I generally finish my pieces in the hoop for hanging.)

Sue Reehm said...

Very helpful info so thanks. When you are done, do you incorporate the top layer of fabric into the hoop (I generally finish my pieces in the hoop for hanging.)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous technique! I will try it ASAP.

MaryAnne C-G said...

I’ve loved this style for a few years but just learned today what this technique is called. Thank you for your videos. It’s on my to do list now that I understand the process.